By ISU Sports Information
NORMAL, Ill. – Illinois State Women’s Basketball took a lead in the second quarter in never looked back, defeating the Loyola Ramblers 57-49 to split the series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Hannah Green won the tip for the Redbirds and drove for a layup to start the game up 2-0. The Ramblers responded with a 7-0 run to pull the lead with 7:21 on the clock in the first. The Birds fired back with an 8-0 streak and the teams battled it out. At the conclusion of the first quarter, the teams were tied with 13 each.
The Redbirds outscored the Ramblers 17-6 in the second quarter to find themselves up 30-19 at halftime. The Birds opened the second quarter with four points from Paige Saylor and never looked back. Loyola could not find a way around the Redbird defense and Illinois State took advantage.
The Ramblers trailed by as little as nine points in the third, but the Redbirds remained on top and finished the third 48-38.
Katrina Beck came out on fire for the Redbirds netting eight straight to push the Redbirds up 46-31. The Ramblers battled for a comeback and trailed 47-40 with 4:38 to play in the game. The game came down to the wire as Loyola put in two 3-pointers back-to-back to trail by two points with a minute to play. Beck came through for the Birds and finished strong sinking a three with 42 seconds on the clock to put the Birds up 54-49. Loyola tried to buy time and sent the Birds to the line, Redbirds finished the game victorious, capturing a 57-49 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Beck led for the Birds with 15 points, four steals and four rebounds. She shot 50 percent behind the 3-point range, going 3-for-6.
- Green, Saylor, Megan Talbot, and Simone Goods each added eight points for the Birds tonight.
- Saylor also grabbed eight boards and tied a career high, dishing out six assists.
- Redbirds improve to 7-1 when leading with five minutes left in regulation.
- Abby O’Connor and Kailyn Strawbridge led for the Ramblers with 12 and 11 points respectively.
The Redbirds remain home to face the Valparaiso Crusaders on Super Bowl Sunday with a tip-off time for 1 p.m.