
By Joe Ragusa
BLOOMINGTON – The U.S. Cellular Coliseum ended the 2015 fiscal year in the red.
Central Illinois Arena Management, the company in charge of operating the Coliseum, said Friday the arena operated at a loss of $495,443 between April 2014 and May 2015. Revenue was short of expectations by $1.2 million.
Bart Rogers, vice president of Central Illinois Arena Management, said in a statement issued with the full report that the venue was hurt by the closing of the parking garage and a slow year in concert tours nationwide.
Rogers said the overall economic impact on the community was $12.5 million last year. In the previous five years, Rogers said the Coliseum operated at a breakeven.
The full unaudited report can be seen here.
The Bloomington City Council approved a transfer of $595,393 in April to cover the losses.
LISTEN: Central Illinois Arena Management assistant general manager Traci Andracki discusses the U.S. Cellular Coliseum’s FY 2015 report with WJBC’s Joe Ragusa.
Joe Ragusa can be reached at joe.ragusa@cumulus.com.