UPDATED: Bloomington mobile home fire ignited by owner trying to unfreeze pipes

mobile home fire
Bloomington and Normal firefighters were called to battle flames at this mobile home in Prairieland Estates. (Normal Fire Department photo)

 

By Howard Packowitz and Neil Doyle

BLOOMINGTON – Investigators believe a fire that destroyed a mobile home Friday on Bloomington’s southeast side happened when the homeowner used a portable propane torch to thaw frozen pipes.

The owner was not injured, but firefighters have not been able to account for two cats who lived with her at 10 Violet Lane in Prairieland Estates.

Bloomington firefighters found the home engulfed in flames when they arrived about 11 a.m. Normal firefighters were also called to help put out the fire in bitterly cold conditions.

Relatives and the American Red Cross are helping the woman who lost her home in the blaze.

Howard Packowitz can be reached at howard.packowitz@cumulus.com

Neil Doyle can be reached at neil.doyle@cumulus.com

Blogs

WJBC Voices: Words fail me

One of the sayings that was popular in the law enforcement community back then was that “There’s no Miranda north of I-80.”

WJBC Voices: Irish chutzpah

By David Stanczak Many years ago, a friend of mine explained by way of example, the meaning of the term “chutzpah.”  He said it’s like a kid who killed his parents asking the court for clemency on the ground that he’s an orphan.  While the term is Jewish, and incredibly colorful, it’s an equal opportunity…