By Greg Halbleib
NORMAL – A fire in a basement of a home in Normal injured three of the four occupants Thursday morning.
The Normal Fire Department responded to the call before 8 a.m. on Normal Avenue. The three residents were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of minor injuries and smoke inhalation.
Firefighters rescued two kittens and treated them for smoke inhalation with pet oxygen masks.
Investigators say the fire started in a basement bedroom and was accidental. The basement was heavily damaged by fire, smoke and water with smoke damage reported through the remainder of the home. No damage estimate was available.
Greg Halbleib can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.