Bloomington rental home damaged in cooking fire

Bloomington house fire
Bloomington fire crews had an early Thursday fire extinguished at a rental home in the 1400 block of North Lee Street within the hour. (Photo by Patrick Baron/WJBC)

By Eric Stock

BLOOMINGTON – Residents of a Bloomington apartment had to evacuate in the middle of the night because of a fire.

Bloomington fire crews were called to the 1400 block of North Lee Street at about 2:45 a.m. Crews reported smoke showing from the second floor of the rental home and helped one resident of the lower-level apartment get out of the structure.

No one was injured. The fire was extinguished in less than an hour. Damage to the building is estimated at 15-thousand dollars.

Bloomington Fire Department Public Information Officer Stuart Blade said fire officials say they don’t know if the home had a working smoke alarm.

Investigators say it was an accidental unattended cooking fire. The fire which destroyed an apartment building on Gettysburg Drive last month was also an accidental cooking fire.

Blade said the Red Cross of the Heartland was notified four residents would need assistance.

Eric Stock can be reached at eric.stock@cumulus.com.

Blogs

WJBC Voices: Celebrating local workers

By Mike Matejka Labor Day is perhaps the most mis-understood holiday in the nation’s calendar.  Traditionally viewed as a summer’s end celebration, its real roots are in worker protest, trying to claim and celebrate their role in society. In Bloomington, local unions organize and march together, along with community groups and aspiring politicians, in Monday’s…

WJBC Voices: Staycations

As the days of summer wane, you might be looking for at least one more experience, perhaps even a “bucket list” item to do.